Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Why We Now Have Socialized Health Care


Like many Americans, I'm not extremely thrilled about the new health-care bill that was recently passed. But one question keeps ringing in my mind: why do we have such a bill?

It's easy for the Church to put the blame on liberal politicians and other sources like that. But I don't think they are to blame. We, the Church, are to blame.

It's not because we didn't vote "our candidates" in. It's not because Obama is out to ruin our country. It's not because we haven't stood up for the moral high ground that we all tend to do. It's because we failed to do what Jesus has called us to do.

The Greatest Commandment
Jesus summarized the Law with the greatest commandments: 1)Love God, and 2) Love people (see Luke 10:25-37). And one of the ways that we show our love for others is by helping them in their need. This is not the work of the government; it is the work of his Church.

So, when we look at this health care bill and are tempted to despise those who put it in place, I hope we pause to ask ourselves some questions:
  • Where was I when millions were uninsured?
  • Where was I when people could not afford the treatment they needed?
  • Where was I when those who needed help had nowhere to turn?
The government has only stepped in to do what the church has failed to do: to help people in need, no matter the personal cost. The government has set up this health care plan because somewhere along the line, we as Christ's representative, have let down those in need and so let down our God.

Rather than point the finger outwardly, let's take a long hard look at our own hearts and see if we have failed to love people; then let us repent, and seek to help those in need as Christ would have us do.

What do you think? Has the Church failed in helping those in need? What can we do to better obey Christ's command to love others?

2 comments:

  1. my old pastor said in a sermon, "Welfare and other social services should not exit. it is the Church's job to help the poor. not the government."

    pretty convicting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's actually how I feel. And I know that I have let those in need down by not giving my time, money and energy to alleviate suffering. This was a hard post to write, because I was talking to myself as much as anyone else.

    ReplyDelete