Thursday, March 18, 2010

God Is Faithful

Recently I read a blog post from someone who is enduring a great deal of temptation. You can read the post here if you wish. In it, he sights 1 Corinthians 10:13: "No temptation has overtaken you that is not common to man. God is faithful, and he will not let you be tempted beyond your ability, but with the temptation he will also provide the way of escape, that you may be able to endure it."

He says:
So as the darkness seems to close in on every side, I do the only thing I can – I keep looking for the light. For the path that will get me out of this dark cave. For the light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak. I often wish for instant deliverance. But I know that’s not how God usually works. The good news is that “God is faithful.” He won’t let me down, and he won’t give up on me. Ever.
Amen. I don't think I could say it any better myself. Sometimes temptations can seem way bigger than we are. In fact, I think they are way bigger than we are. If we were bigger than the temptations around us, then we would not need God.

But the good news is that, even though we are surrounded by overwhelming temptations, God is faithful. He's faithful in two ways:
1. He keeps us from being overwhelmed by the temptation. He never lets temptation use all of its power on us.
2. He never leaves us in temptation to find our own way. He provides the way of escape.

We do not have to give in to temptation. And we don't have to fight it on our own. To all of you who face seemingly overwhelming temptations - whether it's anger, pride, lust, or lying - know that you are not alone. Welcome to the human race. But more importantly, look to the one who is faithful to deliver you, who will stand by you and lead you into freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment